Each and every month at WHFoods, we rely on hundreds of research studies to keep you up-to-date on scientific information about food, nutrition, and health. (For more information about the role of science in our website content, please see Our Approach to Science Research
). Among the featured sections of our website are 100 food profiles and 31 nutrient profiles. In terms of scientific review, we make these profiles one of our website priorities. In each of these profiles, you will find a dedicated References section that contains an alphabetized list of key scientific references involving that particular food or nutrient. In order to make all of these key food and nutrient research references available to you in a single place, we created this WHFoods Reference Library. You can use the radio buttons below to start with either Foods or Nutrients. Then simply choose the specific food or nutrient of interest, and click on it to obtain an alphabetized list of key research references.
Foods & Spices
Nuts & Seeds
Beans & Legumes
Poultry & Meats
Eggs & Dairy
Herbs & Spices
- Cerda JJ, Normann SJ, Sullivan MP, et al. Inhibition of atherosclerosis by dietary pectin in microswine with sustained hypercholesterolemia. Circulation 1994 Mar;89(3):1247-53. 1994.
- Cho E, Seddon JM, Rosner B, Willett WC, Hankinson SE. Prospective study of intake of fruits, vegetables, vitamins, and carotenoids and risk of age-related maculopathy. Arch Ophthalmol. 2004 Jun;122(6):883-92. 2004. PMID:15197064.
- Craig W. Phytochemicals: guardians of our health. J Am Diet Assoc. 1997;97(Suppl 2) S199-S204. 1997.
- Dahan A, Altman H. Food-drug interaction: grapefruit juice augments drug bioavailability--mechanism, extent and relevance. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2004 Jan;58(1):1-9. 2004. PMID:14679360.
- Dai Q, Borenstein AR, Wu Y, Jackson JC, Larson EB. Fruit and vegetable juices and Alzheimer's disease: the Kame Project. Am J Med. 2006 Sep;119(9):751-9. 2006. PMID:16945610.
- Dreier JP, Endres M. Statin-associated rhabdomyolysis triggered by grapefruit consumption. Neurology. 2004 Feb 24;62(4):670. 2004. PMID:14981197.
- Ensminger AH, Esminger M. K. J. e. al. Food for Health: A Nutrition Encyclopedia. Clovis, California: Pegus Press; 1986. 1986. PMID:15210.
- Gao K, Henning SM, Niu Y, Youssefian AA, Seeram NP, Xu A, Heber D. The citrus flavonoid naringenin stimulates DNA repair in prostate cancer cells. J Nutr Biochem. 2006 Feb;17(2):89-95. Epub 2005 Jun 20. 2006. PMID:16111881.
- Gorinstein S, Caspi A, Libman I, Lerner HT, Huang D, Leontowicz H, Leontowicz M, Tashma Z, Katrich E, Feng S, Trakhtenberg S. Red Grapefruit Positively Influences Serum Triglyceride Level in Patients Suffering from Coronary Atherosclerosis: Studies in Vitro and in Humans. J Agric Food Chem. 2006 Mar 8;54(5):1887-1892. 2006. PMID:16506849.
- Hahn-Obercyger M, Stark AH, Madar Z. Grapefruit and Oroblanco Enhance Hepatic Detoxification Enzymes in Rats: Possible Role in Protection against Chemical Carcinogenesis. J Agric Food Chem. 2005 Mar 9;53(5):1828-32. 2005. PMID:15740081.
- Honow R, Laube N, Schneider A, Kessler T, Hesse. Influence of grapefruit-, orange- and apple-juice consumption on urinary variables and risk of crystallization. Br J Nutr. Aug;90(2):295-300. 2003. PMID:12908889.
- Jian L, Lee AH, Binns CW. Tea and lycopene protect against prostate cancer. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2007;16 Suppl 1:453-7. 2007. PMID:17392149.
- Khaw KT, Bingham S, Welch A, et al. Relation between plasma ascorbic acid and mortality in men and women in EPIC-Norfolk prospective study: a prospective population study. European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. Lancet. 2001 Mar 3;357(9257):657-63. 2001.
- Kurl S, Tuomainen TP, Laukkanen JA et al. Plasma vitamin C modifies the association between hypertension and risk of stroke. Stroke 2002 Jun;33(6):1568-73. 2002.
- Mahan LK, Stump S. Krause's Food Nutrition and Diet Therapy 10th Ed. WB Saunders Co 2000. 2000.
- Matos HR, Di Mascio P, Medeiros MH. Protective effect of lycopene on lipid peroxidation and oxidative DNA damage in cell culture. Arch Biochem Biophys 2000 Nov 1;383(1):56-9. 2000.
- Mullen W, Marks S, Crozier A. Evaluation of phenolic compounds in commercial fruit juices and fruit drinks. J Agric Food Chem. 2007 Mar 16; [Epub ahead of print] . 2007. PMID:17362029.
- Murray M. Encyclopedia of Nutritional Supplements. Prima Publishing 1996. 1996.
- Suzuki, Kohno H, Sugie S, Murkami A, Yano M, Ohigashi H, Tanaka T. Citrus nobiletin inhibits azoxymethane-inducved rat colon carcinogenecis. The 228th ACS National Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, August 24, 2004. 2004.
- Thompson PD, Clarkson P, Karas RH. Statin-associated myopathy. JAMA. 2003 Apr 2;289(13):1681-90. 2003. PMID:12672737.
- Turner, Vanamala J, Leonardi T, Patil B, Murphy M, Wang N, Pike L, et al. Grapefruit and its isolated bioactive compounds act as colon cancer chemoprotectants in rats. The 228th ACS National Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, August 24, 2004. 2004.
- Wood M. Citrus Compound, Ready to Help Your Body!. Agricultural Research, February 2005. 2005.
- Wood, Rebecca. The Whole Foods Encyclopedia. New York, NY: Prentice-Hall Press; 1988. 1988. PMID:15220.