7-Minute "Healthy Sautéed" Shiitake MushroomsIf you like Shiitake Mushrooms with a rich flavor and a tender, meaty texture I recommend "Healthy Sautéing." It is fun to Healthy Sauté, and I think you will be wonderfully surprised by the extra flavor. (Taken from page 405 of the second edition of the World's Healthiest Foods book.)
Prep and Cook Time: 7 minutes
- 1 lb fresh sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 5 TBS low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1-2 cloves garlic, pressed or finely chopped
- 3 TBS extra virgin olive oil (or to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 2 TBS each of fresh rosemary, oregano or feta cheese
- Chop garlic and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and slice.
- Heat 5 TBS broth in a covered stainless steel skillet over medium heat if using a medium-size burner and low heat when using a large burner.
- As soon as liquid begins to steam, add Shiitake Mushrooms and cover with a tight fitting lid for 4 minutes. They will begin to release liquid after 2 minutes. After 4 minutes, reduce the heat to low and continue to cook uncovered for 3 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Transfer to a bowl. For more flavor, toss Shiitake Mushrooms with the remaining ingredients while they are still hot. Research shows that fat-soluble vitamins found in foods, such as Shiitake Mushrooms, may be better absorbed when consumed with fat-containing foods like extra virgin olive oil.